12.11.16

So what do we do now? - Thoughts about the presidential election

No, this is not a review, even though, if I had to review the presidential election, that'd be a 2/5 stars from me, the two stars being for the enthusiasm and the awareness for the situation I have seen around the internet so much in the last few months, be it amongst my friends or complete strangers: Dear people who care - thank you. I am proud of you. Also, for Hillary Clinton, simply for not punching Donald Trump in the face for the way he spoke about her right to her face during the debates and instead just smiling and being polite and professional - I respect that so much, because I propably would have beaten up Trump a long time ago, or at least yelled quite a few not so nice things.

Now that we made clear what I think of the winner of the election, let me explain from what point of view I am writing all of this and make my opinions: A pretty privileged one. I am a young white woman, so that's 1/2 privilege points so far, I have a job that pays me enough to live on my own (2/3), I am pansexual (2/4, we're going down a bit), and I am living in Germany (and the privilege counter goes through the roof). Yes, I am not American. I have never been to the United States so far. Yet, I do care a lot about your election. Why is that?

First of all: I care about people. I care about basic human rights for everone. And when I say everyone, I mean it. I don't need you to be my friend or relative to acknowledge your rights as a human, and it doesn't have to affect me in any way, as long as a problem affects you, whereever you are on this planet, I'll care. Given this, yes, I do care a lot about the presidential election in America. Period.

Secondly: That kind of negates my first point - it will affect me. It will affect the whole world. The USA are still one of the most powerful countries in the world. And, speaking from a German point of view, since we have a lot of trading going on with the USA, it is quite important for us what happens to their economy - because if America hits a new recession, we're going down with them.

So far, so (not) good.
I don't think I have to repeat all the PSAs, friendly or not so friendly reminders etc. that explained very well the effect it could have, will have, and already does have on minorities in America having Trump elected. We all (should) know that by now, and I am really not down for too much repetition, especially since those arguments didn't really seem to change anyones mind before the election already. Instead, let's talk about what happens to the ones privileged, the ones that are not minorities - because that's what some people seem to care about exclusively.

Trump stated that in the first hundred days in office, he will "cancel every unconstitutional executive action, memorandum and order issued by President Obama" (You can find the full "Contract with the American voter" here). This does include rights for LGBTQ+ folks, like trans* people using the bathroom that fits their gender or same-sex couples taking extend family-leave, it includes the ban on deportation for children that came to the US illegally, this includes the order to the CIA to ban certain interrogation techniques. All, in my opinion, things that simply push human rights, and thus good things. But things that do not effect non-minorities and people outside of the US. What's in for us?

First big point is health care. The Affordable Care Act is essential for a lot of people, white people as well, since it makes health care a lot more doable for non-wealthy people. It is controverse though due to the tax increase that comes with it. I HAVE to comment on this from a German point of view: it is beyond me how it can be controversial to pay a bit more in taxes so you and everyone else around you can go to the hospital if you need to without worrying to be in debt for the next few years. If I had a heartattack right now, here in Germany, I could call an ambulance, get to the hospital, have a stand operation, stay in the hospital while it's healing, stay at home for a while after that until I am good to go again - and it would all have been taken care of financially. I'd not have the second heartattack when I got the bill because I don't get one. If I was in the United States, I would absolutely think twice if I'd call an ambulance. Or even a taxi to the hospital. I'd have second thoughts if my being alive was worth thousands of dollars. Seriously. How does it work here? Overall, 15,5% of what the person makes in a month is paid to the health insurance company, 8,2% is taken away directly from your wage, 7,3% is paid by your employer on top of the wage they're paying you. Means, if I'd work 40 hours a week for minimum wage (8.50 € an hour in Germany right now), I'd have an overall wage of roughly 1457 € a month and would pay 119.50 € of that for the insurance per month, that's 130 $. Means, if I just put that money away every month and saved it for bad times, I could afford a 15-minute ambulance ride once a year - but just the trip, not actually getting treated at the hospital. So now, every person here has to pay those 8,3% regardless of their health status. Obviously, if you make more money, you're paying more. Now here's the point: Even if you don't have a job, or have only a part-time contract, or are a child and so on - if you only have a check-up at the doctors or have to go to the hospital because a car hit you, it will be taken care of. The sentiment is solidarity, because accidents and illness can happen to anyone. No one is safe from getting injured or ill. But we are safe from the debt that would come with it otherwise. We don't have to pay shitloads for not dying. And I really, really don't get why this isn't a universal thing.
So, back to the point: Americans don't have this universal health insurance, but with the Affordable Care Act, they have a realistic chance to have a pretty similar outcome - that is, not having to chose if you want to die or if you want to be in debt forever. And this might get taken away from you when Trump starts his presidency.

I already mentioned trades. This is where it get's really tricky. Trump stated that he wanted to boost the American economy inside the country, create jobs etc., which is, to be fair here, actually a very good thought. Jobs are needed. However, to accomplish that, he plans on either renegotiating or completely withdrawing from NAFTA (Northamerican Free Trade Agreement). That would most likely increase prices in America - and it is not a definite thing that it will, in fact, bring jobs back to America. So, tl;dr: Chances to have things become (even) more expensive - pretty damn high, guarantee to have more jobs available in America - ...eh.
He also plans on labeling China a currency manipulator (which, to be fair again, is true, but not necessarily a bad thing) and wants a 45% tariff for goods imported from China. The thing is, while China does, in fact, manipulate their currency (it's called Renminbi by the way) and keeps it low artificially, because of this goods from China are very cheap from an American point of view. So when Chinese goods get imported from the US, they are actually cheaper than American products. Thus, more affordable for the consumer. The same principle goes for the economical factor "work capacity", as in: people working for a company. This is why so many non-Chinese companies have their products produced in China - it's cheap. Plus what you have to pay your employees in America plus the profit for everyone involved and you have your price you sell the item for. Thing is: The wage for the employees in America will not change, nor will the taxes etc. and everything that a company will have to pay to bring their goods to the market. And, since we live in a capitalist society, the wanted profit that is part of the price sure as hell won't change as well. That means: If, instead of having factories in China and having Chinese workers produce their goods, companies had their factories in America and had American citizens work for them on every step of producing their goods, prices would increase. If. Because China is not the only country in this world where workers are cheap. So, again, you have no guarantee that the jobs would come back to America.
So far, this is mainly a problem for the poor people, the ones working minimum wage and more than one job to keep themselves alive. However, there's another problem to this, and that is the possible trade war Trump would start by this tariff policy. A trade war could lead to an American recession. And this is where it hits everyone, because this could lead to the next Great Depression.

And now, after those two big points, of course the environment is at risk as well, since Donald Trump believes climate change to be a hoax, following the idea of "I saw snow today so climate change is a hoax. I also just ate a hotdog, hunger is a lie."
Thing is, to tackle that idea right away: Climate change doesn't necessarily mean that it gets hotter overall. The term "Global warming" is misleading here. The change, for now, mostly lies within, well, the changes of season. Just two weeks ago, we had temperatures between 10 and 15°C where I live. Today, it was 1°C. The changes are quicker. More aprupt. That is what climate change is like right now.
He would like to cancel the Paris Agreement. The easier way to do that would be just not complying to commitment of the United States to reduce greenhouse-gas emissions, since it is not legally binding. No, this would not be the end of the world and not the absolute huge catastrophe, but it would take a big step back from the worlds try to safe planet earth.

At this point, I would like to state that I am well aware that Hillary Clinton is not perfect. She is far from perfect. But while not only stating to plan on supporting minorities instead of making their lifes even worse, she simply is a lot less agressive in her politics, she thinks things through, she simply is a professional after working in politics for 30 years and she knows what to do and how to do it.

So what do we do now?

As a German and thus mainly committed to the politics that affect me and my fellow citizens directly, and the things I can actually do something about, I am worried about our election next year. With the AfD (Alternative for Germany), we have our own Trump kinda political party. So what do we do to keep them from winning? First of all, of course, actually go out and vote. Since we have our election on a Sunday and shops are closed on Sundays so most of us don't have to work then, we have much better chances to actually make it. If you are allowed to vote and are not working on that sunday from 8 to 6, you have no excuse. For the love of God please vote!
Secondly, please take no unneccesary risks. Choose the big party that makes you want to throw up least. For the love of god please don't vote for those small parties that have no chance of actually getting enough votes to at least form a coalition. The outcome will inevitably not make you 100% happy, so you can just as well make it not the worst. The most bearable.
And thirdly: Please inform. Knowledge is key. Read the AfDs programm (you can do that here) to know what you are about and be able to make solid, waterproof arguments. Especially take notice of stuff that is not just bad for people who hate minorities, because that kinda arguments don't help, they won't change their minds. Try to proof to them that they are at risk to lose as well if the AfD wins.

Now what about the USA... well, I am, in fact, not in the perfect position to give orders now, and that is definitely not what I want to do. I want to make suggestions. Not even that, I want to tell you what I would do if I was American and what I will do regardless of not being American.
The big point that actually made me write this post is an article I read about the Electoral College here, the thing that Trump was elected as president not by the people (popular vote) but will be by other people that somehow get a bigger say in this than everyone else. The fact that your vote counts more or less depending on where you live is absolutely un-democratic. This is a system failing it's people (and yes, I would have said that as well if Hillary Clinton won, even though I admit that I propably wouldn't know as much about the system then and wouldn't be as angry and definitely would have made this post half as long. I am just a human, okay?). So, if I were you, I'd protest against this. Not against Trump in particular (even though I support that as well), but against this system that made him president-elect even though more people voted for Clinton. It may be too late now. We somehow have to deal with it. But we can fight for an outcome like this not happening again. Because then, at least, the people would have spoken. Not a tiny part of the people. If there is anything I can do to help this cause, let me know! I promise to sign every petition and what not I come across, I'll participate in every demonstration in my area to change this, I will do what I can given that I am not geographically with you.
I will not tell you to go vote next time or not vote third party next time because I don't feel like the ones completely bummed out right now are the people who did this. I trust that everyone who read this did go vote and propably voted Hillary Clinton (except the ones writing an angry-ass comment telling me to kill myself right now below that, yes, I see you).
And besides having better chances next time: Please take care of each other. And with each other, I mean ALL each other. Yes, the main focus will be on POC, muslims, Mexicans, women and LGBTQ+, but don't leave out the ones who are hurting as well right now even though they may not be affected as badly as the minorities are. Try to comfort them as well. And, most importantly, don't let this election turn you into what Trump and his supporters see in you. Don't beat up Trump supporters, don't be mean to privileged people without reason (= just because they are privileged), try to stay kind - I know it is hard. Don't forget your morals.

This will be some shit 4 years and I pray to god that Trump can't do half the things he wants to do. I pray that it won't be as bad as it could be, because I feel like that's the only thing I can do now. I pray that the congress will hold him and Pence as well back from being their full potential of awefulness.
Remember, you are not worthless, you are loved, you matter, and you will get through this.

PS: If you feel like you can't make it, here is a site for suicide hotlines in every state and internationally.

No comments:

Post a Comment