1.5.17

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - Review



Ooga chaka ooga chaka ooga chaka I CAN'T STOP THIS FEELING that there is a new Guardians of the Galaxy movie and it's really awesome again!
That's it. That's the review. Peace out.
No, of course not, I do have to go in detail with all the gushing I have to do for this movie.
First of all, I want you all to know that when it comes to Marvel (or DC, for that matter), I am not a big comic reader. All those endless series is a bit too much for me to be honest. Don't hate me for that.
Accordingly, as in 2014 when I went to see the first Guardians of the Galaxy, I had really no idea what the second one would be about either, other than a group of... people? In space? The trailers are really vague about that. What it is about is that Peter Quill aka Star-Lord finally meets his dad. In the first movie we already learned that Peters father is not human. Instead, he turns out to be a celestial being with, apparently, unlimited godly powers. However, Gamora remains sceptical about him when Peters father takes her, Peter and Drax with him on his home planet. Might be due to his name, Ego, which does sound like you should stay woke around him, I'll give her that. With Ego is Mantis, a girl with feelers who can sense and, to a certain degree, change someones emotions by touching them. She is very sweet, naive and shy - and accidently reveals Peters love for Gamora in public which is a problem due to the "unspoken thing" between them. 
The second plot line is the Sovereign, a golden perfectionist race, chasing the Guardians of the Galaxy all through space because Rocket stole some batteries that they originally were hired to protect from a giant monster.
And last but not least there is Yondu standing against all Ravagers since he did not fulfill the codex and his own crew wants him gone since they think he's become "soft". With the help of Rocket and Groot, Yondu escapes and starts a new life helping the Guardians.
Admittedly, it is hard to summarize the plot without spoilers (I hope I did well) since there are a lot of puzzle pieces scattered all over the place but I promise you that all those pieces come together perfectly when you watch the whole movie.
Once again I am really in love with all the characters. While with the Avengers, I have favourites and characters I don't like that much, I couldn't do that with the Guardians of the Galaxy. The characters are so well-written, threedimensional and loveable, asking me who was my favourite would be like asking me which one of my children I love most. Within the movie, each one of them has a good amount of character developement going on, it is not much but the perfect amount to still have a proper plot and multiple very awesome fighting scenes. The new characters (Ego and Mantis) follow that direction perfectly.
I have one little bit of criticism for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, but that's really complaining about first world problems: This movie, as the second one, lives from the amazing soundtrack, the Awesome Mix Vol. 1 is iconic by now. While Awesome Mix Vol. 2 is really cool too, it is, in comparison, a bit forgettable. I am missing a signature song or two, but that's it. That's all I can say about this movie (negatively). Other than that, it is another must see for everyone who enjoys space, aliens, talking raccoons and trees (baby Groot is the cutest) and a humorous Marvel masterpiece.

No comments:

Post a Comment