29.5.17

Soulfood - Spinach Salad



Oh my god it. is. hot.
Nap season has officially begun where I have to take a nap as soon as I get home because the heat is so physically exhausting, and I am sure I am not the only one who can't stand the thought of a warm meal when it's 31°C outside. So I switch over to a lot of vegetables and less carbs, when it's warm I get a weird desire for healthy food (well, at least things that feel healthy). Last weekend I was visiting my mum, and since my sister was out and my boyfriend was at a fancy dinner for doctors/med school students/anyone who is somehow involved in the whole health care business we made a lovely dinner for ourselves and since my boyfriend is weirdly opposed to raw fish, we tried a recipe I found on Buzzfeed the other day and made a salmon poke bowl which was really, really good. At this point I want to stress that even though I spend a great evening with my mum and had a great meal, I am a bit pissed that just this one time I would have liked to submit to gender roles and play my boyfriends arm candy to get awesome food for free but no, they wouldn't let me. Yes, I am a bit sulky about that.
Anyways: Salmon is quite expensive, so I don't feel like making this just for myself would be worth it. Plus, even though I am not a vegetarian anymore (because I am a weak ass bitch), I try to keep eating meat and fish to a minimum, so today I decided to make a salad a bit similar to the poke bowl.

Ingrediences

  • 2 hands full of fresh spinach
  • 1/2 cucumber
  • 4 cherry tomatoes
  • 1 avocado
  • 1 shallot
  • 2 tbsp. of sesame
  • 2-3 tbsp. of soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp. of olive oil
  • pepper and chili to taste
  • optional: Nori leaves for garnishing
How to make the thing 

  1. Cut the spinach in stripes.
  2. Dice the cucumber, tomatoes, shallot and avocado.
  3. Put everything in a big bowl and add the oil, soysauce and sesame.
  4. Mix everything. 
  5. Season.
 Et voila. You can eat this as a normal salad but you could also put it in a wrap, on rice, on toast etc. if you're missing some carbs here. If you want to buy a house anytime soon you can, of course, skip the avocado as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment